How many times have you looked in the mirror and were surprised to find an uncomfortable pimple at the most inappropriate moment? Hormonal acne can become a real headache, especially since it can appear as part of the symptoms before menstruation. It’s important to know that there’s a relationship between acne and hormones so that you can better manage its effects.
What causes hormonal acne before menstruation
The appearance of acne is not something strictly related to menstruation. A hormonal problem can cause acne even when you are not on your period. There are other causes of hormonal acne, such as:
- High stress levels: When you are going through times of high pressure and stress, this can be reflected in the health of your skin.
- An unbalanced diet: Many fats, carbohydrates and sweets, can be the worst enemies for your skin, which is why it’s important to incorporate a hormonal acne diet – foods that reduce the appearance of acne.
Tips for hormonal acne treatment:
- Cleanse your face with a mild cleanser twice a day.
- Use special soaps & cleansers that are formulated for acne prone skin.
- Avoid sunlight or use water-based sunscreen when sun exposure is unavoidable.
- Avoid using oily products.
- Do not abuse facial scrubs and astringent.
- Remove make-up with products specially designed for it.
- Have a routine for cleaning your face at night and do not skip it for any reason.
- And if you have any acne lesions (pimples), avoid touching them or using your hands to remove them.
Treatments for cases of strong acne
When your acne is resistant to home remedies, you should consult with a dermatologist who will recommend the best skin products for acne, based on your age and skin type. Remember to get an expert opinion before you apply treatments or take any hormonal acne pills. The most commonly recommended are:
- Creams, lotions and gels with retinoids
- Birth control pills or antibiotics
- Benzoyl peroxide
- Facial cleansers that contain salicylic acid
Managing acne is possible, you just need to pay a little attention to your lifestyle, improve on certain habits and use products specially designed to maintain healthy skin.
The advice provided in this material is general in nature and is not intended as medical advice. If you need medical advice, please consult your health care professional.
Bagazgoitia, L. (2015). The menstrual cycle and the skin. November 27, 2018, from Bagazgoitia Dermatology. Website: https://dermatologia-bagazgoitia.com/2015/02/ciclo-menstrual-piel-1963/amp
Eucerin. (S / F). What can you do about acne with medical treatment? December 02, 2018, from Eucerin. Website: https://www.eucerin.es/problemas-de-la-piel/piel-propensa-al-acne/piel-propensa-al-acne-con-medicacion
Fernández, M. (2018). Anti acne pills: what to take to get rid of pimples. November 27, 2018 from Diario feminine. Website: https://www.diariofemenino.com/articulos/belleza/piel/pastillas-anti-acne-que-medicinas-tomar-para-acabar-con-los-granos/
Gamo, A. (2018). How can we end hormonal acne? November 27, 2018, from Glamor. Website: https://www.glamour.es/belleza/tratamientos/articulos/como-eliminar-acne-hormonal-trucos/33367
Hello Doctor. (2018). Home remedies against acne. December 02, 2018, from Hello Doctor. Website: https://holadoctor.com/es/álbum-de-fotos/remedios-caseros-contra-el-acné
Hyde, P. (2014). Which are the causes of acne? December 02, 2018, from Kids Health. Website: https://kidshealth.org/es/teens/prevent-acne-esp.html
Maffei, L. (2014). When the skin reflects a hormonal disorder. November 27, 2018, from Clarín. Website: https://www.clarin.com/buena-vida/salud/piel-refleja-trastorno-hormonal_0_H1KUe6xoDQx.amp.html
Mayo Clinic. (2018). Acne. December 02, 2018, from Mayo Clinic. Website: https://www.mayoclinic.org/es-es/diseases-conditions/acne/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20368048
Very natural. (S / F). 10 Home Remedies For Acne. December 02, 2018, from Naturísima. Website: https://www.naturisima.org/10-remedios-caseros-para-el-acne/
Villegas, C. (2017). The reason you get acne during your period and how to prevent it. November 27, 2018, from La Vanguardia. Website: https://www.lavanguardia.com/vivo/salud/20170824/43594237863/por-que-sale-y-como-quitar-el-acne-de-la-regla.html